Are you in love? Have you found that ideal person with whom you want to share your life and grow old? If so, congratulations! You are one of the lucky ones. If not, don’t worry, there are still millions of people like him in the world.
Today I want to talk to you about this and all the stress it causes. Because let’s face it, at some point you’re going to wonder, “What if I don’t find the right one?”
Concepts such as “the ideal person” and “your significant other” are common stereotypes. Fairy tales and romantic movies have one thing in common: the idea of a prince who falls for the princess and lived happily ever after. And that has caused many problems for women and men of every generation.
The recipe for the true
Fashion, the television and our environment tell us that the true has certain attributes. The media and society determine how the ideal person should be and characterize him as follows:
- Women: lovely people, they like to be cared for, protected and pampered to a certain extent. Of course also willing to do a lot (sometimes too much) for her man.
- Men: They should be formal, funny and strong. Able to protect the woman and is not sentimental. If you’re rich too, well, you’re all right.
After adding features that you personally like, you have the man or woman who will make you happy for the rest of your life. Sounds good, right? But the reality is very different and that is why after dating some guys or girls you realize that your ideal person does not exist.
The problem with stereotypes we look for is that they are so general and combine characteristics that are opposite, that they are impossible to achieve.
The ideal person is already in your life
Earlier I told you about the stereotypes we look for in the real person that usually don’t work because they are impossible to achieve. Let’s talk about the person you already have in your life who is striving for perfection: you.
How many times have you stood in front of the mirror angry because you don’t have what you think you should have? How many times have you been quiet so you wouldn’t seem weak when you were really upset?
This is more common than we accept and it is part of what makes us unique. You have probably never thought that you yourself are the ideal person for you…
It may sound strange, but after all, the one person who is always with you is the one who looks you in the mirror. Only when you learn to love yourself and fall in love with yourself can you expect someone else to see what’s great about you. The keys to achieving this are:
- Know yourself. Take the time to discover who you are and what to expect from yourself. Allow yourself to get to know your talents and discover your fears. Fall in love with yourself! If you don’t love yourself, you can’t expect others to.
- Expand your circle of friends. Sometimes we have to convince ourselves that certain things aren’t true because we haven’t tried something new. Grab the chance to make new friends and live with people you wouldn’t normally get to know.
- Accept pain. If a relationship isn’t working, accept that there will be someone else who can teach you something. Inevitably, there will be times when we will suffer from the relationships, but only you can choose whether to focus on the suffering or learn to carry on. Don’t always hold on to what you know, but look beyond the pain.
The ideal person comes when you’re not looking for it
In the end, you are not the only one waiting for the real person, that person who makes you smile just thinking about him or her. The most important thing is that you take your time and prepare for the moment that that person comes into your life. For now you need to focus on life, be yourself and learn to be a better person. When the one comes into your life, he or she will see that you are the one too.