Smoking can have a serious effect on health. We poison our body, aware that it is very harmful to health. It contrasts with the image you would like to have. But why don’t we stop?
The one responsible for this kind of brainwashing is and always will be the tobacco industry. With all the advertisements or through literature and movies it has succeeded in making tobacco associated with glamour, beauty and assertiveness. In short, qualities that most of us would like to have.
Who doesn’t remember the beautiful Marilyn Monroe holding a cigarette in a very sensual way? Who wouldn’t want to be like them?
But smoking is anything but sensual. It has a lot of consequences for our health, which are known to everyone. Wrinkles, bad breath, yellow teeth, increased risk of heart attack, lung cancer… But even then people remain addicted to this drug, one of the most difficult to get rid of. It’s so common that we don’t realize it’s a drug like everyone else.
I like smoking
Liar. Nobody likes to smoke, although many smokers admit that they do it just because they are addicted. It’s like there’s an animal inside them that needs to be fed constantly. The proof lies in the fact that the first time they try a cigarette, they often don’t like it at all. Nobody actually likes it.
It doesn’t have a pleasant smell or taste, but it has an addictive power that confuses you and makes you believe you really like it until you become addicted to it.
It’s good for you to accept this reality and convince yourself that there are so many benefits to stopping once and for all. Stop making excuses: you don’t like it, it’s unhealthy, it’s slowly killing you, your quality of life is declining, you’re harassing non-smokers, it’s not glamorous anymore…
What can I do to quit smoking?
Psychology has developed several cognitive behavioral techniques to help smokers quit. However, these techniques will only work if the person really wants it. That is, they only work if you are truly determined to quit smoking and motivated to do so.
Therefore, the first step is the will to change, and it depends entirely on you. Are you ready to quit? Here are a few techniques that can help you:
- Stimulus control. This involves eliminating all stimuli that trigger the behavior of smoking. That is, anything that makes you want to light a cigarette. That could be coffee, alcohol, seeing ashtrays in the house, going to a smoking cafe…
- In some cases, it is even recommended that you take a break from certain relationships. But if this is too complicated for you, you can at least tell your friends that you want to quit smoking. Ask them not to offer you cigarettes and smoke in front of you.
- Change brands of cigarettes. You should gradually switch brands, from the brand you usually smoke to the brand that contains the least nicotine and tar. In this way, your body slowly begins to adapt to the reduction of these substances.
- Progressive reduction: You need to reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke daily by twenty percent per week until you can completely drop them. You need to record the amount of cigarettes you smoke daily to see if you are reaching your goal. In addition, you can also reduce the amount of each cigarette you smoke. For example, if you tend to smoke up to the filter, you can start smoking up to the last third of the cigarette. Next week you will only smoke up to half, and so on…
- Delaying the Smoking Problem and Tolerating the Anxiety If you tend to smoke as soon as you wake up, you should aim to delay this habit by half an hour. By delaying the act, you learn to live with the troublesome fear. You will find that it is not as bad as you thought. You will also smoke less at the end of the day this way. Incorporating relaxation techniques into your routine is also highly recommended.
- Cognitive Exercises: Be aware that tobacco is a drug that controls, harms and steals from you, takes money from our pockets and gives it to the tobacco industry… What is it good for? It is very important that every time you feel the urge to smoke, you keep this inner dialogue. Think about how harmful tobacco is to you. Also, don’t hide the truth from yourself: you don’t need tobacco. Your life will be better without it. You really want to stop, keep this in mind.